http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 06, 2006

On My Sh-t? It's Goin' Down 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Coming soon... FINALLY!

Let me just say I haven't seen this well executed a major label marketing album release campaign in hip hop since The Game's debut dropped last year. Between the movie tie-in's and ads all over internet and total radio and video dominance, it's no wonder T.I. killed everyone on the charts this week.

I've long been a T.I. booster but I won't lie, I am semi-disappointed with the KING album personally although I can't quite put my finger on why. It's full of great songs, top notch production and the the kind of spit game that demonstrates why T.I. is one of the best doing it in the South, if not the entire country right now. For some reason though it doesn't quite hold together as well for me as a complete album as Trap Muzik and Urban Legend did.

Like I promised though, while NYC gets all frothed up over the supposed resurgence of the hometown hip hop scene, The Kitchen stays focused on what's really poppin':

Young Joc "It's Going Down" - my favorite record right now by a guy my man Sledge reckons is the new Ma$e for this Southern hip hop era we are in right now. Apparently this has been the hottest record in the "A" for a minute. He's bringing "classic" 2004 crunk back with a snap twist to it just when snap music loooked like it was gonna take over completely, LOL. Dude also gets points for the cheesiest but possibly best album title of the year: New Joc City. (related: watch the video)

T.I. feat. Q-tip "Why You Wanna (remix)" - by Mick Boogie. I don't know if this is official or not but this was out last Thursday or Friday about four days after I heard the original. WTF? They haven't even serviced this as a second single yet. BTW: also check out Mick's Ghostface mixtape The Broiled Salmon.

The Clipse feat. Heron, Stimuli & King Pin Slim "On My Sh-t" - Are VA's favorite brick-flippers more Southern or East Coast orientated? Join the debate. (real audio link via Hiphopgame.com)

Yo Gotti feat. Young Buck & Allstar "Gangsta Party (remix)" - I actually like the original with Bun B and Eightball better but come with a remix - why not (other than the first version ain't even a hit yet, that is)? Apparently this Memphis-based kid has beef with America's favorite Oscar-winning collar-poppers though. (last mp3 link via Still Listen...)

Finally on a lighter note, what happened? Did J-Lo fall off or has her ass always been overrated?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button