http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 11, 2007

Judd Apatow: Hollywood filmaker the Religious Right can love? 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Just back after a ridiculous 11 hour trip from Florida (don't ask!). I'll get into that and more regular Kitchen-style posts later this week but in the meantime, let me just throw this out: I haven't been reading the Times regularly recently but I guess its influence on how I look at the world is still apparent.

So after I started seeing the trailer for Judd Apatow's latest film, Knocked Up a couple weeks ago I started thinking, "Behind the [admitted really well-executed] low-brow humor, is this dude actually a closet social conservative?!" Think about it: his first hit movie 40 Year Old Virgin is ultimately about a guy who is still a virgin way into his adult life and decides to remain so until he marries the woman he has fallen in love with despite his friends pressuring him to have sex. Now comes his follow-up film Knocked Up which tells the story of a couple trying to make a go of a relationship to raise the child they are expecting after a one-night stand. I thought I was the only one with these genius social-cultural insights until I picked up the Sunday Times yesterday:

Judd Apatow's Family Values

On Abortion, Hollywood Is No-Choice


So I guess I wasn't that original in my thinking after all, huh?

Labels: , , ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button