http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 21, 2005

"The reasons are several, most of them federal...." 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
You don't know how hard I had to look to find a picture of Kim where she didn't look like a bad transvestite!

Lil Kim gets smiddacked by the Feds. It's hard to say she didn't deserve it when the evidence seems so overwhelmingly against her but JustMe of I Ain't Scared to Say It! makes a good point that, even though the media is reporting that Kim and her assistant could face up to 20 years in jail, they shouldn't serve one day more than Martha Stewart since they've been found guilty of essentially the same crime (unless there are other factors that I'm not aware of?).

What is buggin' me out though is how I keep hearing about Junior M.A.F.I.A. and Capone of CNN both getting clowned by fans online calling them snitches. Based on what I've read, they were both forced to testify under Federal subpoenas and them backing up Kim's story would have meant putting themsleves in legal jeopardy since her grand jury testimony had already been discredited. Can someone give me a convincing argument as to why these cats deserve this treament that doesn't fall back on trite "Code of the Streets" and "you gotta ride for your peoples" arguments? I wonder how many of these cats yip-yapping online would deliberately perjure themselves in a federal court if put in the same circumstances?

I feel for Cease 'n them 'cos he always seemed liked a stand-up guy. I mean son was BIG's right hand man and even managed to make a few nice records and a not-bad solo album despite not even being a real MC. JM also have a new album coming out soon and, as good as it sounds based on the clips I've heard (if you like MOP or Dipset, you need to fccks with this), it seems like the streets may have already turned against them dooming this project to failure before it gets out the gate.
Related:
- Check out the DVD Chronicles of Junior M.A.F.I.A. The production values are little up and down but it's still a good overview of their take on coming up under BIG, Lil Kim leaving the crew, the 2Pac NYC shooting and more.
- Interviews with Lil Cease and Junior M.A.F.I.A. at Trickology and (conducted by Jay of Hiphopmusic.com) at SOHH.com.

Speaking of Hiphopmusic.com, Jay has been on fire recently. Besides the JM interview, check out links to a Slate article examining the formula behind the unstoppable Dr. Dre hit machine, a scary article about an alleged device that could render all the years spend practicing on 1's and 2's by DJ's around the world moot and a whole lot more.

A new "Hot Ish" list is up in the sidebar at left. Feedback, good or bad, as always is welcome in the comments section. Last month's list is also accessible in the sidebar or by clicking here.

M.I.A. (#6 on the new "Hot Ish" list) is having visa problems possibly due to her father's supposed "terrorist connections." (related: a Sri Lankan hip hop mix also via BoingBoing)

My music blogs links page has been updated as has the links page of other noteworthy music e-zines and websites. Support all these sites as they're where I get many of the links I post here.

Alex and the crew are back with a new issue of their online Designer Magazine with reviews and features on The Bravery, Razorlight etc. (related: slightly late but check out Razorlight's Up All Night album on RollingStone.com)

Shout to my man Butch Vig but, as they drop their new single "Why Do You Love Me", does anyone still care about Garbage? (mp3 spotted Liquid Generation's Music Blog)

Clinton Sparks feat. Freeway & Mully Man (from B'more) "Buck On 'Em" - very "Grindin'"-esque in style, especially with that Clipse sample on the hook, but this ish is crazy. Props to Sean.

I guess I'm not the only one who's been frothing over that Ying Yang Twinz "Wait" single (#1 on my new Hot Ish" list, natch). Sean's mp3 blog Popadopalis and 15 Minutes to Live both, unbeknownst to me, wrote about it before me. Candicissima however, is less impressed.

Unreleased Extra P heat.
(via Steady Bootlegging)

OhAmerie.com (spotted via Street Dreams | Also check Lazarus's new Strictly Business site for a rundown of the product placements in the latest hip hop music videos. I think he might have too much time on his hands unless he's figured out a way to make some money out of doing this?)


AddThis Social Bookmark Button