http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 17, 2005

"Lemme whisper in your ear...." 


These guys are responsible for the best single of 2005 already?

Acclaimed Fela Kuti biopic Music is the Weapon is screening at Rich Medina's Jump N Funk party TONIGHT.

I link to his Village Voice articles all the time so, for those who can, I recommend you go meet Rick Perlstein in person at a panel discussion on book reviewing and politics being held tomorrow by the National Book Critics Circle.

I think I already fulfilled my requisite T-dot content quotient for the week, but here's a couple things I need to rep real quick:

- His mother calls him Alex but he's better known as Don Cash and his new album AntiHero is now available for sale as a low-price download at Zunior.com.

- Shout to my man Rishi - his band Danko Jones' exclusive limited edition DVD featuring videos, live concert footage, promos and more is available at Music Monitor Network, CIMS and all AIMS stores now. Peep the "Lovercall" video on Real: hi lo | Windows: hi lo. Their We Sweat Blood album is in-stores April 19 so check 'em out. Better than The Hives and did it before them too - believe it!

"Hip-Hop Doesn't Live Here Anymore" - The Nation on Hot 97 WQHT's recent woes.

And not liking hip hop is now grounds for divorce?!

The Massacre - The Guardian on the new Daft Punk album.

"The Kufi Slapper"

Sway Dasafo - the next Dizzee Rascal? (sorry, Kano - shout to Fiona)

Music industry insiders may have all converged on Austin this week, but fcck a SXSW, you can find me at Gutfest.

The Z-Trip player has some updated content. I have a copy of the album which I haven't peeped yet. I've also been sitting on The Gorillaz album for a minute and it's pretty good based on the passing first listen I gave it. More thoughts on it if I get some free time to really critique it.

I really don't have the paper for it, but I might have to cop one of those Biz dolls action figures TODAY if they haven't already sold out at the Lab. (spotted via Catchdubs)

So a couple days ago I'm in Beat Street in Brooklyn and hear this incredible minimalist hip hop track that's part crunk, part electro, part B-more house/breaks and even part grime with an incredible-but-filthy whispered lyric. I don't have time to find out what it is from any of the store clerks so write down the hook and google it later that night which is how I find out it's the new Ying Yang Twinz single "Wait":

windows: hi lo | quicktime hi lo

Seriously, this record is incredible - hip hop single of the year so far by far and I say that without any shame or sense of irony whatsoever.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button