http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Grey Album to drop officially? | Coonery comes in two new shades? | The National Hip Hop Political Convention | !!! drop a heater?  


Bebel Gilberto: my future wife (maybe).

First off, last night's game was ridiculous. I now have to check this whole series out although, of course, game 3 goes down the exact same time as the Different Kitchen party.

The final word from my trip: remind me to never take the train back to NYC from Toronto again. What was supposed to be a 12 hour trip ended up taking over 16 hours because of a suicide incident with the train ahead of us. At least it was comfortable.

So what's the deal with this movie? I hadn't heard a word about this until I spotted a giant billboard outside the megaplex movie theater near my parents' place in Toronto. I don't know if I should be happy to see two, basically unknown, minorities as leads in a major studio flick or be getting myself ready for yet more coonery, this time with a brown and yellow hue, courtesy of Hollywood.

I think I might have talked the folks at J Records into releasing some 12" wax on Maroon 5's "This Love" jawn which, as far as I know, is not currently available commercially (?). If you're like me and a bit eclectic in what you spin, you need to f-cks with this record if they do release it. I hated this track when I first heard it way back but belatedly succumbed after realizing that dude is kind of soulful, the beat is bangin' and the track ended up becoming bigger than a muhf-cker.

BTW, I'm in love with this girl (I'm only half-joking). Like Zero 7, her music is a guilty chill-out pleasure of mine. Her first CD was so good, I might buy the new one unheard if I can find it cheap (sub-10 dollars) somewhere.

Here's info on the National Hip Hop Political Convention to be held June 16-19 at Rutgers in Newark, New Jersey: Activists, executives, workers, artists, professionals & educators will discuss & attempt to develop a national political agenda for the Hip-Hop community.

You gonna get info on how dress "grown man" style from P Diddy's manservant or are you gonna blaze your own trail? More sartorial tips for the "Grown N Sexy."

Excellent Disco-Punkers !!! have just dropped their Louden Up Now album and, from what I've heard of it, it sounds pretty f-cking hot.

Congrats to Sean Tamio Tamura-Sato on winning the Dilated Peoples contest. Sean, I need your address though so that Cornerstone can send you the prize. For those who didn't win, remember that Neighborhood Watch album is in stores now. Answers to the contest questions were: 1. The Beat Junkies and 2. ABB Records. More contests coming soon.

Oh sh!t, I almost forgot: I don't know if this out yet or not, but I've heard from a pretty well-placed source that the Grey Album will be getting an official release after EMI Publishing finally gave their blessing. Word is Danger Mouse probably won't see any money from it (Hov and the Beatles are pretty much taking any paper being made off this release) but this will be a huge look for him profile-wise, and for sampling and hip hop culture in general, if it's really true. Supposedly Jay will also be recording several new tracks with Danger for the next DM album though. I guess time will tell if there's any truth to this rumor.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button