http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

MALCOLM X - May 19, 1925 - Feb 21, 1965 

Before I forget: Happy Birthday, Malcolm!

Check out Jasiri X's "Universal Ruler" off the Malcolm X tribute album, NECESSARY!



"NECESSARY! a tribute CD in honor of Malcolm X will be released this summer as a prelude to the three unpublished chapters of The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Ilyasah Shabazz, Malcolm X's daughter, has agreed to write the foreword to three chapters omitted from the original Autobiography of Malcolm X."

I know it's cliche to say it, especially amongst cats who don't read a lot of books but The Autobiography of Malcolm X changed my life when I read it in college. I think I've said it before on this site but as I read it, X's words just reaffirmed stuff I'd always thought or felt but, because I had never heard them articulated anywhere or by anyone else, had come to doubt because of that. I look forward to reading this newly-expanded version of what I consider an essential text in Black, Muslim and American cultural, social and political history.

Labels: , ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button