http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 15, 2010

In Living Color Celebrates its 20th Anniversary Today! 

Reading In Jail:


Wanda's Blind Date:


Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (Parody)


Jim Carrey - Impostor (Snow parody):



I used to love this show when it was first on in the 90's but to my surprise I actually thought it had weathered better than I would have expected and had become funnier with age when I caught some reruns on BET a couple years ago.

Everyone always remembers Men on Film, Homey Da Clown, Wanda and Fire Marshall Bob but there were a bunch of other gems in that show and they used to have musical performances by hip hop cats when The Tonight Show and Letterman didn't wanna know (well I guess some things haven't changed that much in the past 20 years!) and other options were limited, no disrespect to Arsenio, of course....

With now-superstars, Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx and J-Lo as well as David Alan Grier, Tommy Davidson and, for better or worse, the Wayans Bros. all having come from the show you have to give In Living Color its proper due. Creator, Kenan Ivory Wayans always said he wanted to create a Black version of SNL. Maybe that goal wasn't quite met but its legacy might still have been almost as impactful in its own way in the end. Salute!

Read more from The Root:

'In Living Color': You Better Recognize

In Living Color 2010: A Dream Cast


Related:

Trailer for Why We Laugh: Black Comedians On Black Comedy:



[via Rock the Dub]

On another related note, I think I might be going to see Death at a Funeral tomorrow. My mom actually wants to go see it and she never wants to go see any movies!

Labels: ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button