http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Michael Jackson: the real GOAT.... 



I'm finally back! For those who don't either: 1. know me personally beyond this blog sh-t or 2. follow me on twitter or look at the twitter feed box in the menu bar at the left hand side, you may not know that I've made a major move from New York back to my hometown of Toronto after over 15 years! I could get into why but this is not that kind of blog and I'll just leave it at, "Its the economy, stupid!"

What made my final weekend in Brooklyn even more bittersweet was the passing of Michael Jackson at the same time as I was packing up for the big move this past Monday. It seemed like the end of two different eras concurrently. It's not like I've focused much on Michael Jackson here at the Kitchen over the almost 6 years I've done this blog but then again, outside of the voyeuristic train wreck fascination we've all had with his recent personal life, who has? That being said though, like many other music fans, Jackson has had a huge influence on me: "I Want You Back" is my favorite song of all time; The ABC album by the Jackson 5 was the first album I ever wanted to actually own and its still my favorite album of all time to this day and recently, when the Buffetlibre DJ's asked a selection of bloggers to name their favorite dance floor killer track of all time, I picked "Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin'" by Michael Jackson.

So say what you want: in my opinion, Jackson was one of the best, if not the best to ever do it - Elvis, James Brown, Prince, The Beatles, Madonna, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra - he's in that class and might be the best among those giants. And f-ck the haters! Just watch the video above released today of his final dress rehearsal at the Staples Center in Los Angeles before his UK tour that was scheduled to start later this month and tell me in all seriousness that he really wanted to die because he thought he was gonna flame out on this tour! GTFOH!!! :/

Anyway, I know other sites have probably done it to death already but I'll be posting any cool links, music and videos I find as I get back into an online routine 'cos his influence and legacy are so large than anything less than that would not only be crazy but disrespectful. Michael, R.I.P. my dude.

Labels: ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button