http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Best Hip Hop Albums, Singles and Mixtapes of 2008 

This is not my real year-end list but was done for my dude Rizoh:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Top 10 Rap Albums of 2008

1. Q-tip
- The Renaissance
2. The Game - L.A.X.
3. 88 Keys - The Death of Adam
4. Pete Rock - NY's Finest
5. Cool Kids - The Bake Sale EP
6. Kardinal Offishall - Not 4 Sale
7. Snoop Dogg - Ego Trippin
8. Young Jeezy - The Recession
9. Ice Cube - Raw Footage
10. Illa J - Yancey Boys
Bonus: Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
Bonus: T.I. - Paper Trail
Bonus: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Bonus: Black Milk presents Caltroit
Bonus: Nas - Untitled*


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Top 10 Rap Songs of 2008

1. Lil Wayne
- "A Milli"
2. Young Jeezy feat. Nas - "My President"
3. Big Boi feat. Andre 3000 & Raekwon - "Royal Flush"
4. Snoop Dogg feat. Too $hort & Mistah FAB - "Life Of Da Party"
5. David Banner feat. Yung Joc & Chris Brown - "Get Like Me"
6. Big Tuck feat. Fat-B - "Not a Stain On Me"
7. Play - "I'm from Cali"
8. T.I. feat. Kanye West, Lil Wayne & Jay-Z - "Swagger Like Us" / Jay-z feat. Santogold -"Brooklyn Go Hard"
9. T.I. - "Live Your Life" feat. Rihanna
10. Yung Berg - "Do That There"
Bonus: Mickey Factz - "Incredible"
Bonus: Hot Stylz - "Lookin' Boy"
Bonus: The Roots feat. Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy) - "Birthday Girl"**
Bonus: Kid Cudi - "Day N Night (Crookers Remix)"**
Bonus: M.I.A. - "Paper Planes"**

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Top 5 Mixtapes of 2008

1. Green Lantern & Russell Simmons present Yes We Can The Mixtape
2. Beatnick & K-Salaam present Common - S.T.O.R.Y. (Stories Told Over Remixed Years)
3. Q-Tip - Open The Mixtape: Abstract Innovations
4. Mickey Factz - The Leak Vol.1: The Understanding
5. DJ D-Nice - The Official Wackness Movie Soundtrack Mixtape
Bonus: Diplo x Santogold - Top Ranking mixtape

I KNOW some of you are mad at these picks. Did I miss any of your favorites? What did I sleep on this past year? And what am I buggin' on that I included here?

(* I forgot this one on my email to Rizoh but since I didn't rate it Top 10 anyway, it's kind of a moot issue. Untitled had some great songs but overall fell short of its goal of being a conceptual polemic on race isses IMHO | ** I forgot to include these singles too but the same issue applies although they do inspire me to write another list-based post that I've been thinking about doing for a minute now. Stay tuned for that soon-ish....)

Labels: ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button