http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 02, 2008

In The Heights (TV spot) 



N/h on this post but I saw this show last week with my mom who was in town and it was incredible. This TV spot doesn't really do it justice and I'm no expert but I have to say this was the best Broadway show I've ever seen and totally deserving of being the most nominated production at this year's Tony Awards. I think it would make an amazing movie a la Chicago too if done right.

There's a heavy hip hop element to the show (i.e. there's rapping, which is actually pretty decent, as well as singing) so for heads who would never f-ck with this kind of thing, I'm telling you, put your prejudices aside and check it out. This may sell the show short and be a lazy reference because of the heavy Latin element in both, but this is really like West Side Story for the hip hop era. As I was watching it, it made me think of all the great cinematic, A-list hip hop artists like Nas, Dre, Jay-Z etc. who would probably be inspired to do amazing things with this artform if they saw this musical.

Had a great weekend too: I saw your boy Usain 'Lightning' Bolt CRUSH the 100m world record under less-than-optimal conditions on Saturday night at the Reebok Grand Prix track meet and then made it to Summer Jam last night as well. I'll get into that once I find some good video links to base a post around though....

Labels:


AddThis Social Bookmark Button