http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

2006 YEAR END WRAP-UP: Albums 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I know nobody gives a f*ck about this in friggin' May but I never posted a list of my favorite albums at the end of last year even though I pretty much had it mapped out then so here it is now. What held me up was that I was gonna try and write some commentary but I never really had the time or desire.

The only thing I will say for now though is that my album of the year Doctor's Advocate by The Game, like his debut The Documentary before it, is a hip hop classic to me and not just by today's standards. F*ck what the haters or the so-called hip hop critics say or think: five, ten years from now, people will pull out this album and realize how great it is. Even if you aren't convinced just on the strength of the music, the fact that even after a (then red-hot) G-Unit kicked him out of the crew and his mentor Dr. Dre turned his back on him, he was still able to make a amazing sounding album while the Unit has since crashed and burned is an incredible story in itself to me. To use hip hop blog nerd parlance: Game won.

Big up's to Dogg Pound and Snoop Dogg too for making really good albums: never mind the South, is the West (coming) back? Anyway, here's the list for whatever it's worth:

1. The Game - Doctor's Advocate
2. Dogg Pound - Cali Iz Active
3. DJ Spooky - In Fine Style
4. Rhymefest - Blue Collar
5. DJ Green Lantern - Alive on Arrival (mixtape album)
6. Robin Thicke - The Evolution of....
7. Various Artists - Jamaica to Toronto...
8. Beck - The Information
9. Ghostface & Mick Boogie - The Broiled Salmon mixtape
10. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds

Honorable Mentions:
Aloe Blacc | Birdman & Lil Wayne | Clipse | E-40 | Gnarls Barkley | J Dilla | Jibbs | Jim Jones | Kids in the Hall | Matthew Africa & DJ Eleven feat. Too $hort | mstrkrft | Mylo | Nas | Snoop Dogg | Tahiti 80 | Thom Yorke | T.I. | Vikter Duplaix | Young Jeezy

BONUS: Rhymefest - "Angry Black Man on an Elevator" (prod. Lil Jon) - one of my top 10 picks looking real solid for 2007 with this hot new joint. Please someone explain to me why heads f*ck with Lupe so hard (n/h) and almost completely sleep on this dude though?? Extra points to 'Fest for hooking up with my dude Jon and letting cats know that he can do more than make crunk sh*t. (mp3 courtesy Spine - be kind and Right Click and Save As this mp3 to save their bandwidth)

Labels: , ,


AddThis Social Bookmark Button