http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Carlos Lezama R.I.P. 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

All my fellow Caribbean people, pour out a little liquor:

"Carlos Lezama, who transformed the West Indian American Day Carnival from a five-block affair into one of the city's biggest events, died yesterday. He was 83.

Lezama, a retired machinist for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, died at Kings County Hospital after a brief illness.

"Throughout our lives, my siblings, as well as my mother, have been privileged to share my father with the millions who are part of the carnival family," said Lezama's daughter, Yolanda Lezama-Clark.

"I am grateful that he has left an impressive legacy of which we all as Caribbean people can be proud," added Lezama-Clark, president of the West Indian American Day Carnival Association."

Click here for the full article.

Gothamist has more here.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button