http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 29, 2006

"They wanted to kill the rap in France...." 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thanks to everyone who came out Tuesday night. The vibes were cool even though I was having hella sound system problems which messed up my flow mid-party. Highlight of the night though was having the legendary Super DJ Clark Kent (aka known as the dude who produced Junior MAFIA's "Player's Anthem" and the immortal Jay-Z/Biggie duet "Brooklyn's Finest" from Reasonable Doubt) come up and give me props for spinning "Party & Bullsh-t" and asking me about the Malik Yusef feat. Knaye West and Common track "Wouldn't You Like to Ride?" I was spinning. Shouts to the blog posse in the building including the infamous Combat Jack, Funkdigi and Dallas Penn - who I met in person for the first time.

I know most of y'all don't care 'cos you're too busy looking for Lil Wayne bootlegs but new muh'f-ckin' De La Soul "Voodoo Circus" courtesy of Joey - I'm not mad.

Stevie Wonder on "Sesame Street."

Biggie and Public Enemy action figures.

Spiderman 3 trailers here. (h/t: Nadreams)

The Eject Button: Classic Movies It's Okay To Hate - I'm of the generation that grew up with the original Star Wars trilogy and the orthodoxy that it was the greatest action movie trilogy ever but real talk: only Empire Strikes Back was actually any good and the best trilogy of all time is Lord of the Rings.

But while you debate that and the merits of Hov's Cristal boycott, here's some hip hop news of real consequence. Can you even imagine this happening in the US?? It's up to the Ava Lowry's to fill that role in the US now. Don't hold your breath waiting for (mainstream) hip hop to fight the power in 2006. (related: Daily Kos on the politics of hip hop).

To end though, I'm late but so what? Respek is still due:

Clyde Charles Smith (of Kool and the Gang) R.I.P.

Billy Preston R.I.P.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button