http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sneakers By the Gram 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I never thought I'd see the day when RUN- DMC would say out with the old and in with the new?!

A few miscellaneous bits and pieces I've sitting on for a minute:

I just told you how Big Boi's Got Purp Vol. 2 compilation is my favorite current hip hop album. Here's a link to some mp3's of some of the best work by frequent Big Boi and Outkast production collaborators Organized Noize.

Cocaine Blunt's 10 Most Anticipated Rap Albums for 2006.

Spotted via Boing Boing:

- A link to mp3 audio of reggae legend Eek-A-Mouse jamming with traditional Irish pub musicians in Dublin here.

- $25,000 blinged out Game Boy (related: Hip Hop loses its bling.)

- "Pardon our Dust" - an out-of-hand Spike Jonz-directed Gap TV commercial.

Pharrell Williams Q&A (related: Pharrell media player for those who have somehow missed hearing "Angel" and the Gwen Stefani collabo Skateboard P has out right now.)

Styles.By.The.Gram

Custom Chuck Taylor All-Stars.

The Pope's Prada shoes.

The New York Times on foraging for sneakers in Tokyo.

My man DJ Tom Laroc's 2006 Crunked Out Remix of Run DMC's "My Adidas" (related: veteran Rapper DMC leaves Adidas, endorsing French brand Le Coq Sportif)

The Behind the Beat book - the perfect Xmas gift for the beat diggin' record nerd in your life (via The Fader)

Chris Brown on the finer points of hollering 'Yo!'

The New York Times' William Safire on the origins of "Swagger," hip hop (and George Bush)'s favorite new slang term.

Scott Stapp vs. 311 - I kinda hate both of these groups but I have to go with 311 on this one for a variety of reasons. Has there been a group responsible for more bad music in the past 10 years than Creed? (Nickelback? Bush, maybe?)

And finally, peace to the Dork crew for letting me bless the decks at their monthly party on Friday night. the spot was RAM-PACKED! Taj & James have really worked hard to turn this party into a real happening. They literally had to kick poeple out the door at the 2am closing.

I haven't DJ'd in a while and couldn't get home to get my records so I basically just grabbed a handful of wax from my office and played those and whatever the other DJ's had on hand. The most inspired part of my set? When I mixed T-Pain's "I'm Sprung (Southern remix feat. YoungBloodZ and Trick Daddy)" into "I'm Sprung (Dave Kelly dancehall remix)" into R. Kelly "Burn It' Up (feat. Wisin y Yandel)" into Talking Heads' "Burnin' Down the House" into Chris Brown's "Run It" into the the "Run It (remix feat. JD & Bow Wow)." I still got it, people....

AddThis Social Bookmark Button