http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Very Mediocre Affair? 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Overrated (like her hit TV show)?

Back from a quick weekend trip out of town. Those of who you who care have already wrapped up the VMA's and for reasons too arcane to get into here, despite being in the same town they were held, not only was I not at the awards but I didn't even watch them on TV. I was however less than 3 blocks from the Shore Club when Suge was shot shot himself (?) Saturday night. Be clear: I keeps it gully!

On a slightly less facetious note though, here's some other stuff I can share from observations made while down in South Beach:

- I saw Eva Longoria literally standing two feet from me and, trust me, unless smashing women who look like slightly-developed 13 year old girls is your thing, she is not as blazing as you think. She's very pretty but really, REALLY skinny and about 5'-nothing tall.

- Is Scott Storch dating Paris Hilton (who I thought was engaged?) 'cos he rolled into the Sagamore hotel from a very fly-looking Mercedes Mclaren with her and an entourage of vapid blondes in tow? Unless he's producing tracks for her forthcoming album, could I be breaking a developing story here?

- I always thought that kid Chopper (aka Young City) from Bad Boy's Da Band was a little dude. Turns out he like at least 6' 2-6'3" and diesel (n/h). His new single "Lil Daddy" from the Hustle & Flow soundtrack is actually not that bad either.

- OJ ran through a party for Usher's new record label US records at Opium Garden/Prive right after the awards Sunday night and got MOBBED by the media on the red carpet like half of this country ain't still think he killed his wife. Only in America....

- Smitty's "Diamonds on my Neck" is a big-ass record down in Miami.

- I didn't see Puff in action hosting the VMA's but he threw three off-chain parties in the MIA over the weekend. Shout to Khaled for rockin' the new single "Naomi" by Dre (of Cool-N-Dre fame) like five times at Mansion. I'm sure the fact that Dre and Khaled are both TS-affiliated and that Fat Joe was in the building didn't hurt in getting them extra heavy rotations on the set. (mp3 download access with registration)

- Chris Brown is a muh'fcckin' superstar in the making. He tore down the Hotel MTV day time shows and IMHO bested everyone I saw perfoming including Miami fave Pitbull, Ying Yang Twins, Akon and Young Jeezy.

Too bad Hova missed it ('cos I think Chris could have his boy Ne-Yo under pressure in a minute) as he showed up late to take in Jeezy's end-of-the-day set. Guess that transition from artist to suit is going real well for him so far. But is Lady Sovereign next in his sights?! Could his co-sign be what will take grime over the top?

And more guilty pleasure and Jay-Z related ish: I just watched that Jay-Z/Linkin Park Collision Course DVD last week and I have to admit, that it actually sounded pretty good to me. It was surprising how well these two group's songs fit together and even though their live performance was kind of "meh," when I heard the studio versions of the songs I was honestly sitting there going "if I can find this for cheap, I might actually buy it." A bite of (the no longer underground?) mash-up culture by two of the biggest artists on the planet that actually kind of worked... well?

That's enough of me trying to play gossip blog site. On a more serious note, Big Easy, be easy (and safe) and see y'all at the record store today....

AddThis Social Bookmark Button