http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Decisions, Decisions.... 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Bush or BET Awards, tonight? Indecision strikes....

Actually it's neither for me. I'm meeting some friends for dinner instead and my TV has been broke for over a month anyway. Man, there was a time when a music awards show was must-see viewing for me. I think BIG was still alive when that was the case though. Nowadays I just don't give a fcck, I mean really.

Yesterday, I asked if East Coast hip hop was dead? There were a few responses to the question but when I saw this article after finishing writing that post, the question was pretty much answered for me. When a music goes into its archivist, collector phase like blues and jazz have, it's pretty much a dead genre. Hip hop as many of you and I know it (Sugarhill, Tommy Boy, Cold Chillin', Profile, early Def Jam & Jive, Wild Pitch, the so-called "Golden Age" etc.) is over. It's the equivalent of someone in the 60's saying they loved rock 'n' roll and citing Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis as their favorites when The Who, Stones, Beatles and Hendrix were coming out.

Speaking of old school music though:

- "Step in the Arena, Pt. 2" the first video by Guru of Gangstarr featuring Doo Wop from his new solo album Version 7.0: The Street Scriptures.

- Não Wave: Brazilian post punk from the early 80?! That's two recent hipster fixations for the price of one. Nice, but is it any good?

And for those who love the remix but don't understand the politics, "conflict diamonds" explained.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button