http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Swishahouse Takeover 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Slim Thug: not (quite) yet Tha Boss and Paul Wall: he's got the internet going nuts!

I've always kind of had a thing for the singer Tweet but I still gotta say, after seeing her on the cover of this month's Smooth magazine, wow!

Or, if you prefer to go East.

Some new mp3 audio via Hiphopgame:

- Redman "Gillahouse Check" - the first time I heard this I was like, "meh" but hearing DJ Absolute drop it last night on Hot 97 pitched up slightly I was def. more open.

- Red Cafe feat. Mack 10 "Yellow Bottle" - Mr. Clean ain't feelin' it all but I'm kind of diggin' this very-much-of-the-moment thug, club banger even if his 50 jock-riding
that I pointed out yesterday is pretty atrocious.

- Keak Da Sneak "Superhyphy" - this is some pretty bugged out-sounding ish. Was this dude in 3X Krazy or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Slim Thug “I Ain’t Heard of That (remix)” Windows | Real - Geffen is back to flogging this track again in an effort to get this should-be-a-major-star's long-delayed Already Platinum album off the ground. This should have been a massive hit the first time around and definitely when Jay-Z graced the first sick remix.

Maybe this time with Bun B (his ears must have been ringing after I talked about him yesterday) and Pharrell in tow, second (third?) time will be the charm. A killer Roc-Swishahouse collab, having charisma for days and him leading off what is arguably the single of the year didn't create enough momentum to drop the album and do serious numbers?? The mind boggles....

BTW: I guess the place where I can get my question above about Keak answered is the new Bay Area hip hop blog Pacific Standard - "consolidating information about the Bay Area hip hop scene and all of the tangents [artists, labels, journalists, dj's, and events]...."

Inspired by the show the other night, I broke out O.C.'s Word... Life album to play today. "Time's Up" aside, it's amazing how much vocally he sounds (to me, at least) like a blend of Extra P and Prince Po of Organized Konfusion. Also, flip to the start of "Point of Viewz" to experience foreshadowing and the first (?) fleeting appearance of a sample before its future proper use in at least one (maybe two depending on your p.o.v.) monster tracks.

Lyor Cohen's PDA Hacked

"I still fail to understand why I should have been expected to waste twenty-five years of my life following the progress of a beeping trash can and a gay, gold-plated Jeeves." (click here for more by Anthony Lane on Revenge of the Sith. Spotted via Poplicks)

Paul Wall addresses "10 White Boy Stereotypes" (via The Underground Post)

Reggaeton, grime, baile funk, and the globalization of hip-hop.

The Hype Machine - an archive of blog audio.

And finally, I must be on the D-list: Blogebrity (and people, are there even any people of color on this list?)


AddThis Social Bookmark Button