http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Does Nikka Still Got Her Something? 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“Singing and performing comes from the same place as having sex....” - Nikka Costa on the travails leading up to the release of her second album can’tneverdidnothin’ dropping on Tuesday. I hope it's as good as Everybody Got Their Something although Margeaux Watson trashes it in Entertainment Weekly.

The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle
- the cult Sex Pistols punk rock movie satire is finally out on DVD. I might not be 100% accurate on this but I think Chicago film critic and TV personality Roger Ebert was somehow involved in writing the screenplay for this project (!)?

Be clear - Revenge of the Sith (which I just came back from watching) is only the fourth best movie out of the two Star Wars trilogies. It's better than Episodes I and II (but then again how hard was that to do?) but The New York Times' A.O. Scott is out of his mind in saying that "it's better than Star Wars."

The Honeymooners - trainwreck-in-the-making or inspired remake? Cedric the Entertainer and Mike Epps take on the roles of Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton made legendary by the immortal Jackie Gleason and Art Carney but Gabrielle Union seems like the odd one out in this cast - isn't she way too fly looking to be in this movie?

Common: Did Kanye West Make Him Classic?
- I'm not sure I'm riding with my man Timmhotep on the 5 mic Classic rating he gave Com's Be album in XXL, but it's still a pretty good-ass album. "Real People," "Love Is" and "It's Your World" are the kind of records hip hop needs right now - soul for real. And I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think I'd rather have had the album version of "The Food" than the Dave Chappelle live version on the album. BTW, for you smug fccks who've been rockin' this album on bootleg for the past month plus, cop the real joint because they've thrown in a 40 minute plus bonus DVD with some behind-the-scenes footage of Com and Kanye in the studio as a free value-added (though I will admit I haven't peeped it myself yet to vouch for whether it's actually any good since my TV just broke down last week - damn, more money I ain't got that I have to now spend!)

Finally, remembering Justo still - R.I.P., fam.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button