http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 24, 2005

"Malaria kills so many people because they can't get simple medicine or a net to cover their beds...." 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Where are Jeb, George, Delay and crew on this issue of life and death? (related: Support The Roll Back Malaria Partnership)

I've been on a throwback music kick playing a lot of my "old" CD's since I finally sorted and filed them all away, five years after moving into my apartment. Specials has been getting the most rotation recently but Eazy Duz It is up there too which is apropos with the anniversary of Eric "Eazy E" Wright's untimely passing coming up on Saturday.

I've always rated Straight Outta Compton in my top 10 albums of all time but, on reappraisal, Eazy Duz It, the Eazy solo album that preceeded it, is an incredible album in its own right. Yeah, he's no super MC on the mic, but his voice was one-of-a-kind and he sounds good enough spittin' lyrics (courtesy of Ren, Cube and D.O.C. I believe). The real standout is Dr. Dre's amazing production and some really creative song concepts from the cinematic heist rhyme "Nobody Moves", the reverse tape lopp beat that kicks in halfway through "Still Talkin'," the live drum breaks on "2 hard Mutha's", Ren killin' it on "Ruthless Villain," the faux interview format used on "No More ?'s" and "Boyz-N-The-Hood," the original track that inspired a classic John Singleton movie as well a cover by Jim Jones which formally introduced The Game 6 years later.

It's funny to think, that while Dre & crew were shocking the public (and even a few hip hop heads) with their lyrically profane gangsta sh-t, they were actually doing some really next level ish songwriting and production-wise back then too. R.I.P., Eazy.

I also played A Tribe Called Quest's classic Low End Theory, er... Low End Theory album yesterday which, after hearing Phife kick the immortal opening lines in "Scenario," prompts me to ask the question: whatever happened to Bo Jackson? He went from modern sports icon/god to completely disappering off the face of the earth. I never hear, see or read anything about duke nowadays. Sports heads, what's really good?

The Nike Air Classic SB's are looking kind of right.

USA Today has been on some Hip Hop ish this week:

- Ex-child soldier now Kenya's hottest rapper - makes 50's drug dealer come-up story seem kind of lame, no? (spotted via Mr. Kamoji)

- 'Hick-hop' pioneer Cowboy Troy wields a unique brand.

Is DC hip hop finally gonna get some respect? Ecks from New Regime Records is in the building. Shout to Mr. 730.

Newsweek jumps on the M.I.A. bandwagon.

But let me get on some R&B/soul sh-t real quick:

- This might be tey ghey of me but I have to say I am feeling that "Slow Down" jawn by Bobby Valentino. Luda might have one with that there.

- I shouted out Jahah a few days back but let me go back to him again - this kid is NICE: soul singer and a decent MC to boot (with an all hip hop album called No Gray Areas coming soon). But check out the "Oohhh" video from his MamasOnlySon album. If you're fccking with Dwele, Musiq Soulchild, Donnell Jones, John Legend etc., GET AT THIS KID now.

- And, for those who've heard it, how's the new Faith Evans album?

Shout to my cousin Chris, the actor. I didn't know he'd been on Oz and Sex and the City (and thanks for the girl woman advice, playa).

Peace to A to the L of Altrap.net.

And finally, since my parents are coming into town, I probably won't post again this week so let me end by wishing those who celebrate a Happy Easter. (link via Pricelicious | BTW: almost forgot, catch me on the 1's and 2's at The Village Lantern Sat. night from 10-4 filling in for my man DJ Morsy. It's strictly a top 40 hip hop/80's type spot so, between that and me being out of practice from not having spun a big club/lounge spot in a minute, don't expect nothin' too exciting but come through if you need something to do this weekend.)


AddThis Social Bookmark Button