http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, February 26, 2005

"This dude is CB4, he a gimmick - he ain't The Truth...." 



Big up to Jon for holding it down on the critics' panel moderation at the PE symposium yesterday evening. It was cool - I finally got why people respect Christgau so much (because frankly I've always found his writing kind of incomprehensible) and Tate (filling in for Nelson George who had to cancel last minute) and Armand White had some interesting things to say too.

Pleasant surprise: the room was full of great looking women - did someone say Pharrell or 50 were gonna show up or something? I'm joking of course but best of all? I ran through this adidas Superstar 35th anniversary/JMJ foundation after party later that night where, unannounced and a complete surprise (at least to me), I saw Chuck, Flav, Griff & co. do it up live and on stage. They were already on stage when we got there but I caught them doing "911 is a Joke," "Public Enemy #1," Fight the Power," "Cold Lampin with Flavor" (over Busta's "Put Your Hands..." beat) and the immortal "Rebel without a Pause." Fantastic. I'ma try and run through some more of the panels today.

Just like I said with the Grammys, fcck the Oscars. This is what you should be watching. And, no disrespect to Jamie Foxx but why watch him play acting (even if he is supposed to be amazing) when you can watch the real deal?

If you're even just a couple years younger than me and not a deep reggae fanatic this will be almost meaningless to you, but this is a pretty big deal - Ari-Up, formerly of the seminal all-girl punky-reggae band The Slits but now fronting the group The True Warriors, makes her only US appearance on her Spring 2005 tour TONIGHT at Club Seho in NYC. (Click here for additional details)

I haven't been able to go even once this season but here's some really fly-ass snowboards made by Arbor.

The backlash begins? Stone of Article Online says "I don't get M.I.A." Then my homegirl Anousheh sends me this email last night:
I finally got a copy of the Piracy Funds Terrorism CD she did with Diplo. It's terrible - best thing on it is UK toaster Lil Vicious (she's on the Diplo LP) [Ed note: I think that's NYC based male toaster of "Freaks" fame, n'est-ce pas?]. Please give me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you.

Unless she has another friend who wants it and if she's cool with it, I'll use the CD as a contest giveaway prize since I already have a copy of it. Stay tuned.

Superfuture

YO! Dream Chimney RAPS - 1980's Hip Hop Videos.

Lot of hotness over at Spine mag as usual including a new Amerie/Nas joint called "Man Up", the video for Common's "The Corner," an mp3 of the (apparently much-sought after) Neptunes/Timbaland collabo "'Big White Spaceship" under the name SBI (Surrounded by Idiots), a tour of Questlove's sick (despite what he thinks) record room (had to link that one directly) and plenty more besides.

Pharrell in the lab. (via Dork mag)

Fat Joe on Kay Slay's Hot 97 "Drama Hour" radio show speaking on 50 saying "Candy Shop" was one of his reject beats that he co-produced with Scott Storch and equating him with CB4. Whoa! Now it's really on. (via Cuban Link)

Mayfield Remixed - not killer top to bottom but a few gems out of the clips I peeped.

Shhh... Fat Beats has a stash of official Sony "1 thing" 12" promos. They don't have them out on the racks so ask them nicely and you might be able to cop one although this was as of Wednesday so they might already be out of 'em by now. Sorry for not posting this earlier.

Big up to Tom and the Grind Mode magazine crew who have a Bathgate review running in this month's issue.

Ah man, is LogoYes™ trying to put my peoples Kev, Taj, Nick and Dave out of business? (spotted via Happyscrappy). Now that ain't right.

BTW, a belated happy birthday to the Alma G., new poppa Andy M. and my man from college Vestie who all celebrated birthdays yesterday. Vestie's been over in Iraq but I'm not even gonna get into that 'cos he's one cat who's actually happy to be over there. Just stay safe and I hope you had a chance to enjoy your born day, fam.


CB4, he a gimmick - he ain't The Truth...."" title="Bookmark using any bookmark manager!" target="_blank">AddThis Social Bookmark Button