http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Special jackin' The New York Times edition. 


Image courtesy The New York Times

You knew I had to link this - The New York Times on how hip hop is the soundtrack of the Iraq war. (related: Gunner Palace - "some stories [about the Iraq war] will never make the nightly news." | Gunner Palace trailers.)

And while I was at Halcyon yesterday afternoon:

- The LCD Soundsystem album, which was released this past week, sounds pretty f-ckin' great (even if arrived like 18 months passed the peak of their hype), but I'm not paying $30 for a single disc vinyl version with only 9 tracks no matter how good they might be! (related: hear LCDS's "Daft Punk is Playing in My House" on the Liquid Generation Music Mix Player #24. Liquid Gen. also has a pretty good, though very britpop-centric, new music blog)

- All things Diplo and Brazilian are painfully trendy right but Steve at Halcyon passed me a copy of the Funk Carioca album (which Sasha mentioned last week) to check out and it is actually pretty f-cking hot. Classic electro and Miami bass rhythms and breaks flipped Brazilian style by a bunch of artists saying who knows what in Portugese. Trust me, if I had a spare $25 to spend I might've been tempted to cop this on the spot.

As Sasha noted, M.I.A.'s "Bucky Done Gone" is a pretty flagrant jack of the Deise Tigrona "Injeção" track but her and Diplo did it justice so I can't hate. I might not have remembered this exactly right but one of the other bangers was "Rap da Felicidade" by Kátia & Julinho Rasta and there was another one whose title I can't recall that I was feeling a lot too, but pretty much the whole thing was solid. Worth checkin' out if that whole Hollertronix/Diplo "hipster-dirty south" x-over steez is your thing. Check out some snippets here. (courtesy Tunes | related: Seduced by Rio)

- Also check out Halcyon's Hard Times Art Show for Tusnami Relief.

Taj was so on it when he talked about pod-casting a couple weeks back - "Beyond Blogs? Podcasts Are Here." Frankly, I can't keep up, I'm still trying to figure out how cats are doing those RadioBlogs.

Q'boro = New Jack City 2005?


Goodfoot
- coming soon.

Cuban Links

Straight Bangin'

Ear Fuzz (have rubbed O-deezy the wrong way but I got love for 'em)

I'm not even sure this is for real - a Pulp Fiction toy figure set (spotted via Bloggystyle)

I'm pretty sure I was one of the first bloggers talking about Bloc Party over here but I'm still not gonna check them out tonight at the Roxy unless someone wants to flip me a free ticket or guest list hookup.

More jokes on "The Gates" art installation. (spotted via The New York Times | related: links to more parodies of "The Gates")

And let's end with some bad puns: the puck stops here and nobody gives a puck?


AddThis Social Bookmark Button