http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Future Is Now... 


Ellen Gallagher - reppin' for the sistahs? Photo courtesy: The New York Times

For the more cultured readers of this site:

- Ellen Gallagher's 60 Ways of Looking at a Black Woman.

- Julius Caesar starring Denzel.

- McReele starring 8 Mile's Anthony Mackie.

You have bad taste in music...

Or on the other hand, check out:

- Remixes of Jill Scott's new single "Whatever" - the first one is hot, I didn't peep the rest. (link via Honey Soul)

- Hot Hot Heat "Goodnight Goodnight" - Jenny asks if anyone still cares? I do even if others have moved on to Franz, Dogs Die... and Futureheads etc.

- Annie (the "indie/hipster-approved Kylie Minogue"™) "Chewing Gum (video)" - I can't front on the "Genius of Love" drums and lyrical bite on the bridge or on this track as a whole as much as I'd like to. Post-modern pop perfection. (link via Between thought and expression)

- Nina Gordon (formerly of 90's MTV alterna-rock darlings Veruca Salt) "Straight Outta Compton" - I don't know if I should give her props for the chutzpah of covering this or an "Ayo!"? (mp3 courtesy NinaGordon.com)

"The Game is in the building" - with a rumored 400K first day sales of The Documentary, there might have to be a corporate restructuring over at G-Unit real soon and I'm guessing the tension from jealousy, rivalry etc. must already be getting thick. I'm kind of diggin' the fact that he named his son Harlem too although Game non-believers might take that as more evidence of his E. Coast d-ck riding despite his claims of reppin' for the West. (link to Wendy Williams interview via FunkDigi)

But shout to my peoples Eclipse whose The Future is Now CD with his group Non Phixion I finally peeped for the first time properly a couple weeks ago even though it dropped a while back. For all y'all so-called "backpack," underground hip hop fans and "Golden Age" hip hop fans alike, get at this album immediately. Classic hip hop in the early 90's Stretch 'n' Bob, DJ Premier mold with a policial edge featuring production by Extra P, Pete Rock, MF Doom and Ju Ju of The Beatnuts. Need I say more? A must-cop.

I guess I don't get out enough though because I went to Best Buy to cop The Game album yesterday and realized that, besides Non Phixion proclaiming it, the Jetsons future we were all expecting as kids really had arrived already.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button