http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Still Diggin'... 


Image courtesy: He Who

Back in the T. Dot for the holidays. Good lookin' Moe of the Red Ants crew for the heads up on the all-female hip hop show headlined by Ladybug Mecca last night (even though it was kind of mediocre). Mecca has an album dropping on Nu Paradigm Records early next year for those who care though.

I have a bunch of links I wanted to post but I've been having trouble importing my bookmarks off the floppy disk I brought with me (any tech heads out there who can help me out on this? It keeps telling me I have an error "coverting the bookmarks" every time I run the import favorites application in IE?).

In the meantime, rock with these for now:

- He Who (see above)

- Ukula.com

What I've been listening to over the past week or so:



- Candi Staton - Candi Staton

- Bettye Swann - Bettye Swann

- Various Artists - Midwest Funk: Funk 45's From Tornado Alley

Go beyond the standard funk and (southern) soul fare of James Brown and Stax Records with these three albums, courtesy of Stones Throw and London's Honest Jon's, which are a nice intro for neophytes to the esoteric world and growing subculture of rare groove and 45 collecting. Shout to Frank at Caroline yet again and Emily at Astralwerks for the CD hook-ups.



- The Clash - Give'Em Enough Rope

A couple weeks ago I was up late night and caught the end of the Clash's cult, low-budget quasi-docudrama Rude Boy on either the Sundance or iFc channel. I was embarrased by how many of the songs they played in the live concert segments that I straight up didn't recognize even though I claim these cats as one of my favorite rock bands ever. Vowing to get my game tight, I've been playing Give'Em Enough Rope on repeat since then because this is probably the album by them I've played the least. Don't sleep, while it's not the Clash's best work, this album stands up (close enough) to anything else in their discography despite being routinely underrated and dissed by critics and fans alike since its 1978 release.



- Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare

F-ck what you heard, this album was hot. Even I was kind of semi on it when it first dropped, but going back to Amerikaz Nightmare last week I had it on repeat with no urge to fast forward. A lot of heads bitched about the crunk beats and Kanye collabs but give the Mobb credit for trying to evolve. They can't keep dropping clones of The Infamous over and over again and I personally thought "Real Gangstaz" was redonkolous from a DJ perspective and kind of got slept on while "Throw Your Hands (In the Air)" sounded a lot better than I recalled. Expect this on my 2004 Best Of list somewhere when I eventually drop that.

More later if I can figure out this Bookmark Import issue.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button