http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas Eve Late Edition 



ipod my photos - I think this one already did the rounds a couple weeks ago, right?

Into the Storm - "Everything Style Magazines Forgot to Tell You...." (ITS volume 2 link)

Kasabian - more UK hype or the return of the "Madchester" era (this time via erm... Leicester)?

Here's a trial run of something I may try more of in the new year: guest reviews or posts. This review of the Zion I mixtape album that dropped a couple months ago was done by my homegirl Marielle of Rapstation.com and Slam Jamz. Check out more of her interviews and other writing here. If you're interested in being a part of this, hit me at the email address link above in the sidebar so we can chop it up. Shout out to my peoples Zion and Amp who I know from way back in the day.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Zion IFamily Business, the mixtape (Live Up)



I got put up on the popularity of underground crew Zion I in the Bay area by Paris when I interviewed him for Rapstation.com. Since getting a review copy of their recently-released Family Business mixtape I've been playing it daily. This interlude between official Zion I albums is a preview of the hip hop heat we can expect from their forthcoming third LP, True & Livin’, due next Spring.

Family Business blends hot beats and a return to the old school art of real MCing. The members of Zion I - Zion, Amp Live, Deuce Eclipse, and Big Cleesy - are joined by featured guests like Vast Aire, A-plus, Pep Love, Encore, C Rayz Walz, Raashan Ahmad of Crown City Rockers, an impressive new female MC named Miss Marianna as well as Blackalicious who make a special appearance shout out at the end of "Radius (feat. Deuce Eclpise)" and Lyrics Born on the “Silly Puddy” remix. Amp Live, Zion I's in-house track master, holds down the production throughout especially on stand-out tracks like “Oxygen” and "Killa Cali," the aforementioned "Radius," and "Family Business."

Unlike the “bling pimp bullsh-t” we normally hear on the radio, this collection of tracks are socially poignant and have beats hard enough to resonate at any party. Even a hip hop head like me from the BX, the birthplace of this culture and movement, felt like the Zion I crew represented the Left Coast admirably on this release and look forward to hearing more from them in the future.

For more info on Zion I click their website: www.zionicrew.com. Family Buinsess is available to buy at hiphopsite.com.

-- Marielle V. Turner is Virtual A&R for Slamjamz.com and contributing writer for Rapstation.com.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Still doing some last minute shopping? Don't forget to Buy Blue or to consult Choose the Blue when making those final present selections.

Happy Holidays y'all. I'll be getting my garlic pork on tomorrow morning (it's a Guyanese Christmas thing, you wouldn't understand) and will probably take a little time off from active posting over the next few days. In the meantime though, let me leave you with the greatest hip hop Christmas song of all time:

Run DMC "Christmas in Hollis" Real Video | WMA

AddThis Social Bookmark Button