http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 12, 2004

"When I die, make sure you bury me with a cassette of Paid In Full...." 


The best hip hop album of all time?

Thanks to Taj for letting me spin at his Dork mag launch party last night. I tried to keep within the spirit of his manadate for funk & soul but ended up giving in to a jones to spin some early 90's hip hop (Nas, Smif N Wessun, OC, Main Source etc. as well as few eclectic joints from the UK like The Clash, Stone Roses and Smith & Mighty but folks seemed to dig it). Peace to his partner James, Marsha and the rest of his crew.

Ratsicule - the bastard love child of The Donnas, Luscious Jackson & Chromeo? New Wave Synth Pop and garage pop-punk from Toronto with a decidedly continental outlook blended into one kitschy and catchy stew. C'est essentiel, ouais? Shouts to my homegirl Lisa M. for the CD hook-up. Vice, Fader or DFA records are you listening?

Jedi Mind Tricks = Fat Joe + Wu-Tang Clan? Dude's album is a weird juxtaposition of blood drenched lyrics and imagery a la DMX (it is called Legacy of Blood after all, so no surprise there I guess) and orchestral music samples. Anyone who can tell me what TV commerical used the music sampled in the Joey Chavez version of "On the Eve of War" featuring GZA hit me below 'cos it's driving me crazy (I seem to remember it being a luxury car or bank commercial?). Not my thing really but gotta give props for the line "we need EPMD to drop more shit" from the track "Beyond the Gates of Pain" - I wholeheartedly agree. Album also features Killah Priest & Sean Price. (mp3's via hiphopsite.com)

Let the debates begin - Entertaiment Weekly pick their best 25 hip hop albums of all time to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "the birth of mainstream rap" (huh?). I might post my own top 10 in the comments section later, what about others? (CNN.com via Dave Pricelicious)

Ms Jade feat. Peeti Crack & Freeway "Pocketful of Bullets" - been around for a minute on the web but finally sees a vinyl release, this record is double-fire. (via TTLab)

Speaking of Philly-related hip hop though, my man Giz sent me an mp3 of a new collabo he produced for Jahiem featuring and Beanie Mac that samples Beans' street classic "The Truth." It's so bananas Hot 97 is already on it. Look for links of it somewhere 'cos I have no way of hosting it myself.

Finally, ATOMICA MAGAZINE RELEASE PARTY - click here for details. (via Nadine S.)

I'm off on a trip to Hawaii starting this weekend for a buddy's wedding so I'll be on a brief hiatus. In the meantime though, amuse yourselves by checking some of the fine links in the sidebar to the left during my absence.

Paid In Full...."" title="Bookmark using any bookmark manager!" target="_blank">AddThis Social Bookmark Button