http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 29, 2004

How to be a Baadasssss.... 



Back on the "grind" - here's some mp3 blogs I just discovered worth checking out:

- Scissorkick

- Funk You

- futurism aint sh-t

S/FJ on M.I.A. (The New Yorker)

Kelefa on Lil Jon (The New York Times | Related: official website | "Real N***a Roll Call" video e-card | video: hi | lo quicktime: hi | lo | "What U Gon' Do" video e-card)

Hyphy 101 (MTV News)

T.I. "Bring 'Em Out, Bring 'Em Out" - I was gonna post something asking folks who did the song sampling Jay-Z over what sounded like a Swizz Beats track, but stumbled upon this saving me the trouble. Tomorrow might have to be a two CD's (Nas and T.I.) copped day 'cos this track is double sick and T.I. is one of the few MC's whose hype is justified nowadays. (Related: the official website)

Hashim continues his quest to become the Nick Denton of the hip hop blog world with ambitious plans for several new hip hop-oriented blogs. His main Hip Hop Blogs site has been on fire with recent posts on why music reviews are dead, Snoop Dogg and Sexism in Hip-hop and the Real 4 Elements of Hip-hop. Ak like you know.

Bandshades - for my fellow people of color, you know this is an idea that was long overdue.

I Hate Gen-X

Sick keyboard drummer - imagine what this dude would do with an ASR-X, LOL. Alchemist watch your back. (via My Stunted Growth)

With all things Brazilian kind of trendy right now, the movie Carandiru from the same folks who produced City of God looks like it could be a must-view. (Related: the official US webiste)

I spotted a trailer for that one while watching the DVD of Baadassss over the long weekend. This is a dramatized version of the story of how pioneering black director Melvin Van Peebles ushered in the blaxploitation movie era and, more importantly, redefined independent filmmaking while overcoming incredible odds and obstacles as a black filmmaker to get his movie Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song made and released. Baadasssss was written, produced, directed and co-stars Van Peeble's son Mario, director of the cult crack era movie New Jack City, who encountered many of the same issues as his father 30 years later trying to get this budget but quality flick made. Plus ça change.... (Related: the soundtrack available on BBE records)

If you knew what was going on in my life you would know that both Baadasssss and the critically acclaimed but also hilarious Fox TV sitcom Arrested Development, whose 1st season DVD box set is the other thing I gorged on this weekend besides turkey, speak directly to what I'm going through right now.

I've started seeing snipes around town for the ogo PDA/2-way message device which looks kind of crazy but the word of mouth is not good. I'ma keep sitting this battle out until it become clear who out of the blackberry, treo, sidekick, vulcan, ogo, a revamped ipod (?) or something else is gonna win the battle for wireless messaging supremacy.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button