http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

"Hooked": one of the year's best movies? | New Nas mp3's | Jim Jones in hit song shocker 


Jim Jones: better than I thought?

In a banner, watershed year for documentary movies, "Hooked", the story of Oakland playground ball legend Demtrius "Hook" Mitchell, stands out and holds it own. I caught a preview of the movie, which is being released on DVD next month (I believe), last night and it's incredible. "Hook" is described in the film by his hometown contemporary and NBA star Gary Payton and others as "one of the best players never to make it in to the NBA" but directors Michael Skolnik and William O'Neill have also achieved their stated goal of creating a film with a sports theme that even non-sports fan viewers would find compelling. This is easily one of the year's best films in any genre so check it out if you can when it drops. Click to yesterday's post for trailer and website links.
“No one can deny that the ‘Diva’ sneaker and my ‘Phat Classic’ are better quality and technology than Nike’s Air Force 1’s. Those shoes have cheap old technology. Jay-Z and other rappers are doing these sneaker companies a favor by putting themselves with these sneakers. The real truth is we don’t need them [the sneaker companies].”
from "Simmons' Sneaks Outselling Competition." I think Russell has a point: the S. Carters and G-Units have been the best and most sought after sneakers in the game over the past couple years. If Diddy made a Sean John dunk style sneaker, I'd probably never buy Nikes again. Full story at allhiphop.com.

A couple mp3's for you:

- Nas "Disciple" (via hiphopgame.com)

- Nas "I want It" (via hiphophavoc.com)

And if someone has a link to an mp3 of Jim Jones "Bend N Strech" from his new album On My Way to Church, holla at me. Unbelievably, I think son might have a legitimate club smash on his hands with that joint right thurrr.

Panama really doesn't like Nelly.

But Funkdigi put me on where to find the Kweli shirt I was asking about a few days back. Good lookin' fam. Come check him out spinning tonight at the Different Kitchen party at Low tonight. Also spinning: me and my man Mori. See ya tonight.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button