http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Harlem's Back! 

Harlem on the rise!

The new "Hot Ish" list for August is finally up in the sidebar at left with the month almost about to end! As always, feel free to leave feedback comments positive or negative on what's moving me this month. I'm still adding things I forgot to chart (like Kardinal Offishall's "Bang Bang") but, overall, the list is starting to become very influenced by what I spin now that I have regular DJ gigs. Doing a list like this regularly also makes me realize that there's a lot more good sh1t out there than I would initially think if someone asked me out the blue what I was feeling music-wise. (mp3 link courtesy hiphopsite.com)

Harlem's back! Publicly they beefin' but is it any conincidence that both the Ma$e and Jim Jones albums drop today? And let me not be embarrassed to admit: I LOVE THE MA$E ALBUM. Yeah it's a pop record full of beat jacks and remakes but the game needs Mason Bertha who injects a little light heartedness and fun back into hip hop. Young Buck is also in stores today (and also features a "Kill Bill" sampling track called "Bang Bang" weirdly enough) so it's a pretty big week for mainstream hip hop releases. (mp3 link courtesy juno.co.uk)

New issue of Scratch out with Kanye (surprise) on the cover. Turntable Lab agrees with me that it would be tough to top the debut issue but, according to their review, they seemed to have done it:
We couldn't really see how they were gonna top the jam packed debut issue of Scratch but they came pretty damn close. This issue finds Kanye West on the cover breaking down his equipment and humble beginnings. Other producers interviewed include the Alchemist, Havoc, 45 King, Neptunes, 9th Wonder, Jazzy Pha, MIDI Mafia, Trackboyz and David Banner. DJ's Green Lantern, Clark Kent, A Trak, Shortkut, and Scratch all give incite to their craft. Lot's of gear gets reviewed, scratching techniques are discussed and the birth place of Crunk is revealed.
I'm such a record nerd that when I saw the magazine I could tell from the price tag on the Marvin Gaye joint that Kanye was holding that he had bought it at Sound Library.

But I'm so out of it that I didn't even know "Lean Back" was the #1 song in the country and that Juvie had been #1 before that. I knew those were big singles, but that big? Whoa!

Miller tries to make good, but why we had to get in they ass before they stepped up and came corrrect. (allhiphop.com | EURWeb)

A web link to that Target-Champion-Eric B & Rakim ad jumpoff I mentioned a few days back.

Mos Def's Big Band live.

Now this is gully (and this is stupid). (BBC News)

"City of God": great film, great remixed soundtrack based on what I heard of it this past weekend.

And tomorrow night: "Set it Off 2: The Rebirth" unsigned female MC showcase at The Pyramid (101 Ave. A between 6th & 7th Street in NYC). Email Mental Supreme or call (718) 789-5441 / (877) 585-5177 for more details.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button