http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Obama: the Democratic party's newest rock star in the making 


Image courtesy: I'm So Sincurrr

I haven't been watching the DNC 2004 because the entire thing has been scripted down to the last minute rendering any chance of real suspense, surprise or incentive to watch virtually nil but it sounds like Obama killed it Tuesday night. Today everybody knows about him and now he's being seriously touted as a future presidential candidate or at least a major player in the national Democratic party. Barely a few months back when he began his campaign for Senator I googled his name, after receiving a fundraising email on his behalf from a friend, and was barely able to pull up even one story from him from a newspaper I'd heard of. Now the transcript of his speech is the #1 most-emailed article on the Washington Post site. For those who think he's too good to be true, I have friends who know him and his wife and apparently he's the real deal: a stand-up guy, smart as a muh'f-cker, charismatic, passionate and sincere in his desire to serve. (MTV News | Washington Post)

So, spurred by the media hype (see how it works) I decided I'd better catch some of the action while I can and watch Edwards' speech since I'd be out DJ-ing (sorry about the endless plugs) when Kerry gives his speech tonight. I thought Edwards gave a solid, but not barnburner-status, speech but immediately after he'd finished pundits were already lasering in on the fact that he didn't say much about Kerry's record as a senator. Another telling commentary about the media: after Edwards' speech, CNN began discussing the reaction to Sharpton's address earlier in the day and repeatedly played clips from that speech rather than from Edwards'. Hmm, now why's that I wonder, Liberal Media Bias?

So like I said, I'll miss Kerry tonight. I just hope that tomorrow I'm not seeing endless clips of him droning on about "this administration this...., this adminstration that...." like he's done ad nauseum on the stump throughout his campaign so far. Son really needs to do him and get the electorate excited about him.

But back to the positives and more commentary on Obama from my blog fam:

Funkdigital | I'm So Sincurr | Negrophile | Negro Please | Taj | Zentronix

Meawhile, chaos still reigns in Iraq (CNN.com) and Bin Laden's brother kind of likes "Fahrehnheit 9/11" (Miami Herald site reg. req'd)

AddThis Social Bookmark Button