http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Blogs worth checkin' | Who are Vikter Duplaix and Mike Jones? | More Kanye on wax 



Target in BK is a go (officially as of yesterday according to a promo postcard that somehow got to me a couple weeks ago). There's a good discussion over at Funkdigital.com that covers many of the issues that lead to my own ambivalence over a "prestige" retailer like Target invading my old hood.

Government Names is on fire recently. I love my man Nick's site and link to it all the time but their spoof of his uniquely "hooded-out" suburban, Jersey hipster vernacular is f-ckin' hilarious. (BTW related: Nick's new Mix CD is now on sale at TurntableLab)

Lots of good linkage over at Beats and Rants 2.2 also but can someone explain to me why the main page on this site is always blank besides the sidebar menu? Trent beat me to the punch in mentioning the fact Vida Guerra is this month's Smooth magazine cover star (or she was last time I saw the magazine on stands a couple weeks ago).

Finally got the Masta Killa album (sorry fam, no sale 'cos my man Toro at Caroline Distro ended up lacing me) and while I like it a lot still after a couple of all-the-way-through listens, it's not f-cking with Pretty Toney like I thought.

Kanye's Through the Wire: The College Dropout Original Album boot is a good look for all you K-Weezy completist geeks. I'll probably pass myself with its $20+ price (depending on where you cop it) but I can't front, that "Wouldn't You Like to Ryde" joint with Common and Malik Yusef (who he?) is pretty f-ckin' hot.

I've been sleeping on this cat Vikter Duplaix for a minute despite hearing a lot of good things about him and his left-field future soul music but I peeped a good chunk of his recent singles compilation album yesterday and was definitely diggin' what I heard.

And not content with just making $300 million + annually off Sean John, blowing up on Broadway (kind of) and galvanizing turnout of the youth vote for November, Puff launches Bad Boy Clothing and looks set to have another winner.

For my Manhattan folkers from my good friend Jen:
Tonight (JULY 26, 2004 at 9:30 PM) on Mantahhan Neighborhood Network (MNN Channels - AOL Time Warner/NYC: 34, 56, 57, 67 rcn: 107, 108, 109, 110 j.d.) is Jennifer Dobson, creator and producer of "The Town of West 69th Street" documentary, as a guest on "This Side of Central Park," the monthly show on the West Side and Clinton communities featuring local issues and heroes of the neighborhood.
And finally, is this Mike Jones cat legit hot on the streets in the real world or does he just have blog buzz 'cos that's the only place I ever hear/read about him?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button