http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 09, 2004

And the party don't stop.... 

Thanks to everyone who came down to Different Kitchen last night and helped me, my sister Nadine and Mori celebrate our birthdays. The music was great and the crowd even better. Props to Niraj for breaking up a hip hop heavy edition of DK with two excellent sets of deep house yet again and to Taj for wrecking it for nearly an hour with the smallest bag of records I've ever seen. Son, how'd you do that? Plus he went home one record lighter as he magnanimously gave up his only copy of the 9th Wonder "99 Problems" remix as a birthday gift for yours truly (*wipes tear from eye*). Thanks player, for real. (mp3 via turntablelab.com)

Bloggers were also in the house too, finally! I got to meet the beautiful Jenny F of Aeki Tuesday who came through reppin' hard for New Jeruze (I'm only half mad at her for darting out without saying goodbye while I was DJ-ing 'cos I know how those PATH trains can get late at night) plus my man Metalface of FunkDigi (I'm not gonna blow up his government name in case it's a state secret [?]) came through also. Look for him to bless the decks at an upcoming party sometime in the near future too.

Also, in "I'm not worthy" news, Tony Barber, bassist for The Buzzcocks (possibly my favorite rock group ever), came through with his girlfriend Andrea. Thanks for the birthday beer, guys. Thanks also to Les C for the wine and Devin R for the superfly Rawkus sweatshirt too. I could go on and on but I'll end by saying it was a f-cking great birthday and I was happy to share it with friends of mine, old and new. It's always better to acknowledge the milestones in life surrounded by those who care about you. Aight, that's enough mushy stuff. The next DK party should be on August 12 but stay tuned for more details soon. Now, back to why you read this site:

Hold Dat (via Pop Life)

Kill Chiba

Can NORE save his career by going reggaeton? ("Oye Mi Canto" mp3 via Sandbox)

Speaking of which, Reggaeton Traxx Volume Two just dropped but if you missed the first one, cop Baile Reggaeton volume 1 and 2 instead and you'll have just about every hot reggaeton jumpoff out right now including the Tego Calderon's "Lean Back" remix which is bananas (and which I wish I'd had last night). Don't sleep. This ish is blowing up and crossing over to the non-Latin hip hop world crazy fast now. Music Factory in Brooklyn blew out of almost half their shipment of the Tego joint within an hour of getting it in stock yesterday. Get up on this or risk looking like the last DJ to know this summer.

More NORE (feat. Peedie Crakk and produced by Just Blaze): "Nigga Rican" (mp3 via Sandbox)

And is Premo back 'cos that new MOP "Here Today, Gone Tomrrow" sounds like his work and it's retarded? I need a link on that, f'real.

And "Wicked with Lead" (and the A-side "Paychecks") by Ghostface's Theodore Unit are a promising-sounding preview to their 718 album due August 3.

More hot ish: Juvenile feat. Soulja Slim "Slow Motion." I ain't gonna lie, I didn't like this track at first (I thought it was by Nelly) but it grew on me. (mp3 via Sandbox)

And another down-South party starter for those who dig that Missy Elliott steez: Jacki-O "Sugar Walls." (mp3 via turntablelab.com)

Hoop Dreams 10 Years Later (Washington Post)

Alf talk show: WTF!? (E! online)

Props to the first rapper to push this whip in their video. I hate when cats try to "cool hunt" or trend forecast but, seriously, aren't chromed-out Escalades, Ranges, Hummers and Navis so 2002?

Get your thug on D-Block style this Sunday when Jada get it's poppin' at Club Speed in Manhattan.

And the Biz is live in Brooklyn this weekend: I hope he remembers his rhymes 'cos son needed a backing track to do "Just A Friend" the last time I saw him perform. Damn.

OK, so you missed the blow-out at Low Bar last night. Don't sleep though 'cos the kid is still celebrating tomorrow night (my actual birthdate for those who care) partying and DJ-ing. Nothing to do or just tired of listening to mp3 snippets of music I talk about on this site? Get out and hear that ish live on a real PA. Click here for details and I'll see you tomorrow when I attempt to set if off yet again on the 1's and 2's with a set of hip hop (both over and underground), R&B, reggae and, yes, reggaeton. Y'all know the party don't stop...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button