http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

50 Years of Rock 'n Roll? | Alison Crockett's Grown Woman Ish | Psychedelic hip hop: real or not? 



After a slightly extended break for the long weekend, let's start with a little sports for once:

- They may have won Euro 2004 but this still looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen. (FIFA.com | New York Times)

- And a Russian hottie tennis player who can actually play upsets Serena to win at Wimbledon. (ESPN.com)

Mercedes-Benz online mixtape. (via Kev W.)

Ma$e "Welcome Back" video: how can you not love this? Hip hop needs feel good ish like this. (Win | Real via Vibe.com)

My mp3 link game has been kind of weak recently but if you can find 'em, peep:

- Tego Calderon killing it on his bootleg remix of "Lean Back" to find out why I've been on a bit of Reggaeton kick recently and...

- A nice Bounty Killer-laced remix of Hov's "PSA" that quite possibly has been around for a while now although I just heard it for the first time last Friday.

But I can't even believe heads are still running the bullsh!t that rock'n'roll started with Elvis. I'm not hating on my man Chuck D style, but I don't even think Elvis himself copped to that dubious claim. (CNN.com)

And I don't know anything about this dude but his album cover is hella funny. He just betta not come through Bed-Stuy reppin' that jawn too hard.

I don't keep up with this stuff enough to know for sure but based on what I'm reading, is "psychedelic hip hop" the next ish in backpack rap, is it already a go or is the music press trying yet again to create a trend or movement where none exists? DJ Signify | RJD2 | Sixtoo

The album didn't blow me away but there's a couple nice bonus remix tracks on Approach's live funk-flavored Ultra Proteus CD. Check the Oh No remix of "Al Japro" and the 80's steez on the Automato remix of "Slide Back (Straight No Chaser)."

Grown woman ish with Alison Crockett, former singer with King Britt, US3 and others, and her new soul album On Becoming A Woman which includes an interesting cover of Janet Jackson's "When I Think Of You."

Apologies to O-Dub and Clyde in advance but one more case where "No Homo" probably does not apply: Guys Gone Wild. WTF though, was the world really asking for this?

But in another nod to Clyde, I'm not a vegetarian but I'm now really loving these Spinach Nuggets which I got up on thanks (indirectly) to the influence of Chanty F. Seriously, they taste better than you would imagine.

Though I don't wanna get all Whole Foods on that ass, so read up on Garrett Oliver, the black Brewmaster for the Brooklyn Brewery.

You already know about this but I would be remiss if I didn't say: Godfather, Rest in Peace.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button