http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 17, 2004

A (really brief) Spring gear guide | Hov and Diddy regenerate hip hop?! | Kanye collabs with Maroon 5  

"And I don't wear jerseys, I'm thirty plus" -- Jay-Z from "What More Can I Say"
Since Hov shut down the whole throwback jersey game, even galoomps like Twista and bohos like Slum Village have been trying to look clean in their latest videos. So here's a guide to some designers that can get you looking "grown 'n sexy" (I told y'all I'd start using that cornball phrase. Give it a few weeks, it'll wear off... probably):

- Roar Clothing.

- 7 Diamonds.

- Robert Graham.

Also, search out Allen B (by Allen Schwarz), Poggianti, Richard Yoo and e=mc² (from Damselle) for more gear that can help you beat the doorman at clubs with "no athletic gear and workboots" dress codes in effect.

While we're on the tpoic of gear, anyone know when these Dunks in "Mid Navy/Varsity Maize-Magnet" are dropping in the US? I've been looking for these since I saw a link to them on DJ Mel's site.

I say no, but Armond White asks, "Can Jay-Z and P. Diddy regenerate hiphop culture with a video and a play?" in his New York Press article "The Wall Came Tumbling Down." White gets into a really improbable and prententious deconstraction of why Hov's new video is so important and I know a lot of bloggers wrote about it when it premiered but seriously, what's the big deal about the "99 Problems" video? While I liked the scenes set in Beat Street, my local record shop for coppping hip hop and R&B wax, frankly, I still prefer the "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" video by far.

Kanye to remix Maroon 5? Interesting development. Back to talking more about music tomorrow.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button