http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 06, 2004

A legend passes | They really love me: the email that made my week | The Roots 12" contest winner revealed 

A legend passes. If you don't know what Studio One is (was), get up on it because it's one of the pillars of modern pop music along with Motown, Stax, The Beatles, James Brown, the Blues, hip hop etc. and Sir Clement 'Coxsone' Dodd, who died yesterday from heart complications, was the man behind it. (Jamaica Gleaner via Anousheh)



Many of you may not know it but the name of this site is inspired by the album Another Music from a Different Kitchen by the Buzzcocks who are one of my all-time favorite groups. So, after the great message from ex-Brooklynite Donnell the other day giving me props for the site, I received the following email which pretty much made my week:
Just wanted to say hi- love your site, and your views. I work on a lot of rap thing/pop cult crap as an art director/ prop master etc and stumbled across your site doing a search for something i worked on.....anyhoo, i passed your site onto my boyfriend, Tony Barber (bassist and producer for the Buzzcocks), who resides between London and Brooklyn. your site is strangely speaking about my world in so many areas!! fyi- Tony helped me construct the model boats in the new beastie boys video "ch check it out"- note the action figures-designed by nigo(bape). funny



keep it up-
Andrea
I'm such a nerd I forwarded the email to all my friends who would even have any notion of who the Buzzcocks were and sent Andrea a gushy fanboy response saying she blew my mind with her email. Again, I have to say thanks to her and all my regular readers for supporting the site and giving feedback good or bad via the Comments section (or by email for those of you who are too shy to reveal yourself in public).

And finally, congrats to Dina Vathis on winning the Roots 12" contest. If you can believe it, she was the only one who got the right answer to the question "What is the name of the label that first released The Roots' debut indie album Organix?" The correct answer is Remedy Records. FYI: for those who entered but got it wrong, Cargo/Uni were responsible for the re-release of Organix. Stay tuned for more contests coming soon.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button