http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 26, 2004

Trina, cotdamn you a bad b-tch: new hip hop mp3 jawns to peep.... 


Image courtesy: EURweb

Some new club bangers-in-the-making worth checking out:

- Dirtbag "Here We Go" (prod. by Timbaland)

- Mystikal "Oochie Pop"

mp3 links for both via Sandbox Automatic.

I'm loving the Mystikal jawn (aka "P-ssy Pop" and from his upcoming Prince of the South album), that ish is crazy. Curious how this is gonna get promoted though, isn't duke in jail or something? The Dirtbag track is just aight to me despite the Timbo assist, but there's a little buzz on him, at least within the industry, from what I can see. Watch him and see what moves he makes (thanks to my peoples Max N and Sledge at Jive for the wax hook-up on those two).

And via a hot new site for hip hop mp3's I just discovered called hiphophavoc.com (apologies if I found this site via one of the blogs I read, didn't mean to bite your linkage without credit):

- Tony Sunshine feat. P Diddy & Dirtbag "Oh My God." So here's one of Dirtbag's moves on a jawn I mentioned last week. On further listens this is somwhere between Usher and Justin Timberlake style-wise but nowhere as hot as either of them. Still, OK for the right now though.

- Trina feat. Pharrell "Put It On Top" I smell summer 2004 radio smash. Y'all fronted when I said "Tipsy" was gonna be one of first big bangers of this year back in early December last year. Don't sleep on this one. It's very commerical sounding but a f-ckin' banger, no doubt. Seriously, I think I like this better than "Frontin'" and I'm not even a Trina fan (of her rhymes or otherwise). Now my second favorite new rap record behind Nas' "A Thief's Theme."

- Cam'ron feat Jahiem "Lord You Know" This is the "no homo" duet I mentioned last week. All joking aside though, it's actually a great record. Cam playing at his full potential is always a happy thing to witness.

Also worth checking out:

- Red Handed "Horny (On Me)" from legendary mixtape DJ Kid Capri's new Def Jam-distributed label No Kid'n Records. This one is heating up some mixshows and clubs in NYC already. Good lookin' to my man Sam C on the wax. (NB: the mp3 link may not work.)

BTW: "Lord You Know," "Oh My God"... is that the Kanye effect leading to all of these spiritually-titled jumpoffs?

More evidence that hip hop has almost completely lost it comes via MTV2's new show Video Honeys:
Video Honeys profiles the lives, looks and interests of the girls who normally don't get heard from, but simply seen in hip hop videos. Industry insiders from XXL talk about the girls in videos who use videos as jumpoffs for their big career moves. Enjoy the stories, often surprising, always compelling of life on and off the set in Video Honeys.
Whatevs, watch and laugh as some of these women absurdly attempt to jumpstart careers as "rappers" with an absolute seriousness of intent despite their almost complete lack of talent. Scheduled air dates.

Meanwhile, never wanting to let my disco-punk jones go unsatisfied for too long, I copped this compilation album from the Plant Bar/Records crew on newly-released double wax last weekend at Turntable Lab (it's been out on CD for a while): The Sound of Young New York. Disco-punk, quality house and some DFA-esque electro stuff. Pretty much all good with a couple exceptions.
Related:
- Check out "The Sound of Young New York," the party with DJ Dominique every second Friday of the month at Apt in NYC with guest DJ's (including my man, Stretch Armstrong).

Some interesting news: Tobacco Company Ordered To Stop Using Hip-Hop To Market Cigarettes. (Allhiphop.com)

Also, did a little gear shopping this weekend 'cos my stuff is starting to look a little raggedy. Besides the fact that I bought some their shirts, I also happen to think what they do is mad cool and worth publicizing: check out clothing by American Apparel, the sweatshop free, progressive T-shirt maker out of Los Angeles, California.

Didn't buy any of their stuff (yet) but Evolve Universal had some nice looking shirts in stores. Recommended if you're into LRG or old school 555-Soul and 2 Black Guys urban wear.

Finally, I can't even believe these look like they are making a comeback. Do I have Kanye to blame for that also?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button