http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Native American hip hop | Twista on Fuse | Green Lantern's Hot 97 mixhsow | Kanye's new clothing line | Gregory Isaac's classic Night Nurse  

How long has Green Lantern been doing this Tuesday Night mixshow (12-2am)? Based on what I heard last night, this might be the hottest mixshow on Hot 97 right now, nothing but back-to-back exclusives including Lantern's patented "In the Lab" remixes (read: hip hop mash-up's). The hottest one I heard: Dead Prez's "Hell Yeah" over the "Overnight Celebrity" beat. Also blazing though: a new Alchemist-produced Nas/Mobb Deep collabo from the upcoming Alchemist solo album.

Speaking of the Overnight Celebrity though, watch for Twista hosting Fuse TV's Authentic Hip Hop Viewer's Poll show airing April 24th at 4pm EST (encore airtimes: 4/24 at 8pm EST | 4/25 at 4pm, 7pm and 1am EST). Click for more details here at the Fuse Authentic Hip Hop Viewer's Poll site.

Cristina Verán on Native American hip hop in "Rap, Rage, REDvolution." (Village Voice)

And I don't think I mentioned this last week, but in a real obvious move, the ROC is doing a Kanye West clothing line. Could the timing be any more perfect? Right now every stores' menswear dept. look like Kanye's closet anyway with the mid-80's throwback preppy styles that are jumping off this Spring. I predict smash success on this one, at least short term. (trendcentral)
Related:
- Kanye West Teams With Jacob The Jeweler For New Line. Son is really trying to cash in crazy while the iron is hot. Can you blame him? (allhiphop.com)


Image courtesy: Amazon.com

Since there aren't many new albums out worth mentioning that I haven't already blogged about and I haven't copped any mixtapes recently, I thought I'd mention that you need to get up on Gregory Isaac's Night Nurse album which I just picked up a used copy of yesterday. This is classic roots reggae with amazing songs and Isaacs' beautiful voice that instantly soothes your soul. Absolutely recommended, without reservation or qualification. Go pick this up, you need it in your life. Reggae heads out there: comments below appreciated on what are some of the best roots and lover's rock albums out worth investigating 'cos I'm real spotty as far as my collection goes and need some suggestions on how to step up my classic reggae game. I'm talking even the obvious stuff like the equivalent of The Chronic or Low End Theory but in this genre. I have neither the time nor the money to get all trainspotter-ish and obscure with any CD's I pick up right now.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button