http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Hip Hop Box contest results | The "Freek-a-Leek" video girl revealed | Hip Hop reps on the Blender 50 Worst Songs of All Time 

OK the Hip Hop Box contest is now closed, thanks to everyone who entered. Congratulations to our winner Steve Peter from Brooklyn, NY (I swear I don't know this kid even if he is in BK like me, honest). See below for the answers to the contest questions:

Disc 1 question:
- What was the name of the independent label that released Too Short's first album?
A: 75 Girls

Disc 2 question:
- What was the name of the song and which artist recorded it that Chubb Rock used as a sample for the chorus of "Treat Em Right"?
A: First Choice "Love Thang"

Disc 3 question:
- What was the original name of the group Naughty By Nature?
A: New Style

Disc 4 question:
- What is the name of the first record Craig Mack ever appeared on, under what name and what year was it released?
A: "Get Retarded" as MC EZ of MC EZ and Troup released in 1988.

Thanks again to our sponsors Cornerstone Digital and Hip-O Records. Check out the Hip Hop Box in stores today.

Also in stores: Ghostface's Pretty Toney (see yesterday for my thoughts on the album) and Mario Winans. I'm not really a fan and wasn't paying much attention but apparently that Fugees/Enya/Jodeci/EPMD-biting (choose your own ref. points from that list) single by Winans is enormous.

Blender magazine picks their 50 worst songs of all time: Ja Rule's "Mesmerize" (#45), Will Smith "Will 2K" (#32), Puff Daddy feat Faith Evans "I'll be Missing You" (#25), Hammer "Pumps and a Bump" (#17) and Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" (#5) are your hip hop representatives.
Related:
- An interview with Dizzee Rascal, a short piece about Lil Jon working on his next album Crunk Juice and BIG's "Hypnotize" examined in "The Greatest Song Ever!" column can all be found in the same issue also.

Chuck D has moved from Air America Radio's weekday morning show to Saturday night's Bring The Noise show co-hosted by Bay Area activist/journalist Davey D and a couple others who I'm not familiar with. Wonder what prompted the change? I never got to check out the original show and hear how it was but I'm guessing Chuck was chafing under that format and probably wanted to do a show more hip hop in vibe (?).

Finally, for those of you who've been looking for info or images and ended up up on my site, click here for a gif avatar of (I guess) Heidi Hunter, the much-searched-for star of Petey Pablo's "Freek-A-Leek" video. I won't lie, after seeing this avatar now I want to see the video so I guess I'm doing it backwards from everyone else. (link via Max N)

Blender 50 Worst Songs of All Time" title="Bookmark using any bookmark manager!" target="_blank">AddThis Social Bookmark Button