http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

New blog alert and the con-game flick no-one's ever heard of? 


Image courtesy: RottenTomatoes.com

Here's another blog I've been checking out recently: Esache's Rap Planet, based in the UK, is a fairly new blog just started around a month ago but there's plenty of quality Op-Ed style commentary exploring the soul and state of hip hop music and the rap industry. Worth your time for those looking for thoughtful hip hop-oriented editorial voices in the blogosphere.


Image courtesy: Piccadilly Records

More new music to check out:

M.I.A. "Galang": I first heard this joint maybe a month or two ago one time on XFM out of London and was blown away by it enough to ask my man Mick at 679 Recordings to get me a copy on 12". I wasn't even sure I had either the title or the artist name right. But thanks to Nick at Catchdubs for confirming that I had the info right all along and for bringing this joint back into my mind and yes, as he says, this might be "officially the sh!t." I still haven't managed to cop the wax yet so this description might be a bit off but imagine a female East Asian Dizzee Rascal and I think you're getting close. "Galang" is produced by one of the Fat Truckers and somehow Justine from Elastica is involved in this record too but I can't figure out how or where from listening to it. Worth investigating.

Air "Cherry Blossom Girl": another joint I've been hearing on XFM. Call me boring for loving this type of obstensibly yuppie post-trip hop, chillout music (Zero 7, stand up) but f-ck you, sue me, this song is beautiful. Not even out 'til next year in January but I'll be damned if this won't be on my year-end list of favorites anyway.

Just watched Argentinian heist/con-game flick Nine Queens (originally released under the title"Nueve Reinas") this weekend. Had never heard of this movie before watching it but if you like movies like David Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner, Grifters and The Sting, I highly recommend it. The movie is completely in Spanish and is subtitled but the well-written script and excellent acting still win and slowly hook you in as the plot unfolds. Plus Leticia Brédice is just about the sexiest woman I've seen in a film for a long time. You need this film in your life.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button