http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=5698442&saved=true <i>Other Music from a...</i> Different Kitchen <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

For all you bandwagon riders who have been waving the punk-funk (aka disco-punk) flag for the last year or so, get ready for Mu, a left-field collabo between house producer Maurice Fulton and his Japanese wife Mustumi Kanamori which you can check out here, the web site of TIGERSUSHI recordings, possibly the coolest record label on the planet right now.

The album is called "Afro Finger and Gel" and is coming out on September 1st as far as I know. I think Trevor Jackson (of Playground fame) is putting it out in the UK through his Output label but I'm not sure who's putting it out in the US. The album was preceded by a single earlier this summer which I picked up from my good friends and neighbors at Halcyon Records in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. The single was called "Chair Girl" although most people (if they were like me) flipped straight to the B-side and spun "Let's Get Sick," a madcap slice of electro-breakbeat punk-house lunacy, which would tear up any discerning dance floor.

Also big up to my man Mick in London at Pure Groove-679 Recordings (home of the Streets) who sent me a very cool single by Grafiti a couple weeks back which is a nice slice of what I like to call "geezer electro"™. If you like the Audio Bullys, the Streets (or Dizzee Rascal to an extent), you know what this is gonna be about and you need to check this out immediately. Ironically it looks like 679 is distributed by TigerSushi in Japan. Does this prove the adage "Great minds think alike?"

AddThis Social Bookmark Button